Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Kaedyn Attempts to Draw; For the Last Time! *dun dun duuun*

Hello again!

This will be my last post... so I've decided to make comparisons!
Unfortunately... I don't draw often, so I just have a couple examples.

However, I'm going to quickly walk through the steps for a little Zelda I drew.

As always, I began with a quick, messy sketch of what I wanted Zelda's pose to be. I decided to use just a pen and crayola colored pencils for this, simply because I wanted to experiment. I haven't seriously used only colored pencils for any of my drawings, so this was a challenge. >>

Bunyapen writes that you should "Plan your character's outfits by thinking about your character's personality and other factors such as his or her occupation, hobbies and personal likes" (Bunyapen 53). I know that Zelda in her most recent game is a warrior with style. She's a princess, yet will fight for her kingdom at any given moment. Her main color scheme in previous games is mostly pink and purple, so I stuck to her original design.

<< I used a 0.1 mm pen to outline her and add details to her armor and clothes. Notice the splotch of ink on the page. It made me cry a little bit. We move forward from our world-crushing mistakes. For coloring, elaborate patterns and rich colors make clothing look lively (Bunyapen 84). With that in mind, I used a metallic gold and silver pencil to color her armor; then proceeded to color the cloth with ~three different tones of violet and deeper purples. Her hair is just a yellow and orange colored pencil, which made things much easier. Zelda is the princess of Hyrule, so the design on her... front... cloth... thing (please inform me what this is called if you know) is the triforce and Hylian crest.

Here it is finished!


Now that I have that covered, I wanted to show a comparison of where I was before reading this book and afterwards...

Here are a couple of examples from when I began reading:


After I finished reading all of the tutorials:

                            I drew this picture today!

 I'm especially proud of this one, because it is just a sketch (took me ~one hour), my first time with the legitimate version
of Photoshop, and still looks better than the art that took me
hours and hours.

Thank you for all of your kind comments and for keeping up with my blogging!

One last question: Have you seen recent improvement in your art? How do you think you've improved?

Bunyapen, Supittha. Shojo Wonder Manga Art School: Create Your Own Cool Characters and Costumes with Markers. Cincinnati, OH: Impact, 2011. Print.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaedyn!
    I like that you tried using all colored pencil. I usually use all colored pencil because I find markers and the ink bleeding through certain paper to be frustrating. What kind of paper do you use? What kind of colored pencils did you use?

    ReplyDelete